Pages

Friday 8 May 2015

It's been one week...

It's been a week on the outside world, a week since finishing my inpatient stay, seven whole days of doing it for myself! I'm not really sure what I anticipated the first week post-discharge would be like but it's been remarkably normal. Of course it's been challenging and I've had to really think about what I'm doing and really work on making the recovery focused decision day-in-day-out, but it feels like that's what I'm doing. It's not easy, I not going to pretend it is, recovery is an upward battle. Sometimes you wonder if the war is worth fighting but then you remember the reasons you're doing it, the wonderful life that's there waiting for you to grab!

I wish there was a secret, a way that would just make it all happen and be possible more quickly. My inpatient consultant frequently said she wished there was a magic wand she could wave to make it all go away. The thing that I've found really helps is getting perspective and distance from your inner demons and remembering what's important in your life. I want to be able to make a difference in the world, I want to help people and do something that means something. I know that the only way I'm going to be able to do that is if I can stay well. I'm not letting some stupid eating disorder get the better of me and stop me from being able to do that. Arguably I'm not really sure how I'm going to take on the world and make a difference but fingers crossed I can start through my writing. I hope there are people out there reading my blog and getting something from it. Fingers crossed I can continue to use the medium of writing to at least keep me on the straight and narrow... if nothing else! The thing is, there's no right way to do recovery, there's no right way to go off and save the world but I'm going to just work out my own way of getting there. Perhaps not immediately but slowly but surely.

So... what now? 

The plan for the moment is to keep going as I'm going at the moment. I'm going to really find the things that make me happy and do more of them; find a yoga class in Suffolk to go to, keep doing exciting things at work, spend more time outside, spend more time with my family, just enjoy living a normal life that doesn't need to involve hospital!

No comments:

Post a Comment